Friday 25 November 2011

Chicken and Tomato Soup

This aromatic and flavourful soup is a real crowd pleaser for cold days. The chicken, having been marinated overnight, is tender and savoury, and there is a subtle hint of sourness from the tomatoes. The finishing touch of generous amounts of coriander gives the clear broth a very oriental note. Best served with rice or noodles.



I first tasted this soup in my friend Mindy's house - apparently she drinks it every time she feels tired/cold, and I can completely understand why. The soup had a very refreshing and wholesome feel to it and obviously after the first sip or so I demanded that she send me the recipe, which I'm going to post here (with some minor alterations).
This is another one of ultimate brainless simple recipes that busy mums should keep in their arsenal - it's healthy, it's easy and it's fast!

Chicken and Tomato Soup

Marinade:
500 - 800g chicken drumsticks/legs/thighs, deboned and diced into bite sized chunks
2 tbsp Cornflour, 
4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
2 tbsp white wine (1/2 cap of chinese ShaoXing wine), 
2 tbsp oyster sauce, 
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp or more light soy sauce (to taste!),
A few drops of sesame oil, 
3-4 thin slices ginger.

Ingredients:
4-5 tomatoes, quartered or with slits cut into them
12g fresh coriander
1.2 - 1.5 litres of water 

Marinade the chicken, and leave in a fridge overnight.

Bring the water to the boil, then put tomatoes and chicken in. Bring it back to the boil, then simmer over a low heat for no more than 20 minutes.  Serve with generous amounts of coriander. 
TADAAAAA! Finito.

Additional notes:
Using a shallow ladle, scoop up all the foamy scum stuff and oil that float up to the surface while the soup is simmering. This will ensure a really clear and non-greasy soup. I did not quarter my tomatoes because I don't actually like mushy tomato all over my soup - thus I made a cross-slit on the top of the tomato so that it will flavour the soup, but without becoming overly soft and mushy.

No comments:

Post a Comment