Friday 11 November 2011

The Jacq-of-all-trades dilemma

The problem with being an Asian kid is often this - you may like something, but unless you are a super prodigy of some sort, most people (relatives especially) are deeply convinced (consciously or otherwise) that an arts-related career may not be the best route to wealth. Take my parents - they praised me for my abilities, forced me to learn piano (which I am eternally grateful for), essentially nurtured me and helped me to develop. But when it came to the crunch, when I suggested to them that I would really like to learn graphic design in the One Academy back home (seriously, have you seen their prospectus? It's awesome!), the inevitable answer was - "Do a science degree". Even my sister, thoroughly more gifted than me and apparently infinitely more world-wise, said "Do a science-oriented degree, that way you'll have something to fall back on".

They were, of course, completely right.

Fast forward to the present, and here I am. A BSc in Physics (high five to fellow physicists reading this!!), and, hopefully, in a months' time, a PhD in Optoelectronics.

And my dilemma is ever the same. I want to do arts, but there is no money in it for me. Often, in the shower I have new ideas for, well, music. Videos I would love to upload on Youtube. Occasionally, an idea for phone Apps. Stories for books or animations. But I am held back by the same self-doubt that plagued me all those years ago - am I good enough to compete with other super-talentos out there? Where's the money?

Well, here I am. Here is my beginning. For display, for all the world to see - links to my doodles, my vids, and perhaps occasionally a story or two. If it's good enough, someone will probably advise me how to make money off it :P

Love,
Jacq

No comments:

Post a Comment